- 10 DEPARTMENTS
- 49 LABORATORIES
- CANINE CENTER OF THE FMBA OF RUSSIA
- MEDICAL CENTER FOR EXTREME SITUATIONS
The main tasks of the Center are: gathering and structuring of scientific information on existing practices in the field of cell technologies with the formation of the Unified Information Databank; participation in the creation of a legislative and regulatory framework regulating the creation, examination, assessment of the safety of biomedical cell technologies; development of technologies for obtaining stem cells and their derivatives; creation of a bank of stem cells and their derivatives, providing the possibility of transporting biomaterial, storing it and creating reserve volumes; preclinical and clinical trials of stem cell preparations and their derivatives, promising from the point of view of development of biomedical cell technologies; preclinical research and coordination of clinical research of new surgical technologies; examination of new cell technologies, stem cell preparations and their derivatives.
At present, the main goal and subject of the activity of SRC-FMBC is the health service support and health protection of the serviced contingents. To the present day eight activities have been formed. They are based on the continuity and application of an interdisciplinary approach based on the close interaction of clinicians, hygienists and sanitary inspectors, biologists, physicists, chemists, mathematicians and other professionals.
- The first activity can be briefly defined as clinical-epidemiological and radiobiological one.
- The second activity, combining a complex of research in the field of radiation hygiene and radiation protection, is defined as radiation and hygiene one.
- The third activity, historically formed with the development of new military technologies, currently covers the problems of hygiene of aggressive components of rocket fuels - liquid and solid.
- The fourth activity, which arose in connection with the rapid development of laser technology in our country and abroad, the creation and widespread introduction of non-ionizing radiation sources into the industry, is the hygiene of non-ionizing radiations.
- The fifth activity of SRC-FMBC research includes comprehensive work on the use of ionizing radiation for medical purposes.
- The sixth activity is emergency response, is being developed in the Emergency Radiation and Dosimetry Center of the FMBA of Russia and concerns the issues of radiation safety of personnel and the public in the event of radiation incidents and accidents, possible acts of nuclear or radiological terrorism. It is aimed at developing the basics of medical emergency response.
- The seventh activity, which arose in 2011, concerns the scientific and methodological support of research in the sport of higher achievements and is defined as an allowable medical and biological support for the athletes of the national teams of the Russian Federation and the nearest reserve.
- In the eighth activity, new clinical technologies are being developed and improved: oncochemotherapy, oncosurgery and biomedical technologies.
Scope of SRC-FMBC scientific activities includes:
carrying out of fundamental and applied scientific researches in the field of radiation medicine, radiobiology and ecological and hygienic bases of radiation protection;
- research in the field of biomedical technology, radiopharmaceuticals;
- development of new radiation technologies (including photon and neutron capture therapy);
- research in the field of chemical and radiation safety in the use of special-purpose technologies.
An important aspect of the scientific activity of the institution is scientific-methodical and medical-sanitary support for radiation accidents and terrorist acts, including psychophysiological studies and developments in the psychology of extreme situations. In recent years, active scientific activity in the field of sports medicine has been launched and developed.
On the basis of the Center, the Federal Interdepartmental Expert Council for the Examination of the Associations of Diseases with Radiation Exposure operates.
Being the leading scientific organization of the country in the field of radiation medicine and radiation hygiene, SRC-FMBC takes an active part in organizing and holding Russian and international conferences, congresses, symposiums, seminars on topical problems of clinical radiology, radiation safety and other fields.
Specialists of the Center successfully represent the Russian Federation in a number of authoritative international scientific organizations such as the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation, the International Commission on Radiation Protection (ICRP), the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the International Association of Surgeons, Gastroenterologists and Oncologists (IASGO) and other public medical organizations. Since 1996, SRC-FMBC performs the functions of the World Health Organization Collaborating Center in the field of diagnostics and treatment of human radiation injuries.